I had a life changing moment in the kitchen nearly a year ago….
It was the first time I had tried my hand at Cast Iron Skillet Pizzas!
The method allows the dough to bake beautifully–crisp with a slight char. Delicious! And the kicker? The cook time is less than 3 minutes! So flipping fast!
Here’s how to do it:
- Turn on the oven broiler and adjust one of the racks to the top of the oven–directly under the broiler.
- Place a cast iron skillet (10-12 inches in diameter) directly under the broiler for 8-10 minutes. It may begin to smoke but you need the skillet to be screaming hot.
- While the skillet is heating, roll out 5-6 ounces of pizza dough onto a floured surface–you’ll want it a tad smaller than the width of your skillet. If you have a pizza peal, sprinkle it with cornmeal and transfer the pizza dough onto it. If not, you can also use a wooden cutting board.
- Dress the pizza with the toppings of your choice.
- Once the skillet has heated for the appropriate length of time, quickly and CAREFULLY slide the pizza into the skillet. Replace the skillet so it sits directly underneath the broiler.
- Quickly close the oven door and allow the pizza to cook for about 45-60 seconds.
- Open the oven door and rotate the skillet 180 degrees. Close the door and allow another 60-90 seconds underneath the broiler.
- Once the crust is slightly charred, CAREFULLY remove the skillet from the oven and place it on a rack for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the pizza to a cutting board, slice up the goodness and DIVE ON IN!!!
And here are some things to keep in mind:
- The skillet is incredibly hot after it’s been under the broiler so handle with care. I usually use both an oven mitt and a thick kitchen towel.
- Things happen very fast once you start so have all of your toppings and mise en place ready to go before you even start heating the skillet.
- Toppings are completely up to you but I would recommend not placing fresh items on top until after the pizza has baked so that it doesn’t wilt or melt (arugula, goat cheese, etc.).
- I think a 10-12 inch pizza is perfect for two with a crisp side salad, however, if you’re feeding several folks, it would be ideal to use two skillets at a time.
And that’s it! Easy Peasy and totally faster than take out.
*In case you’re curious, the pizza shown here is topped with mozzarella, leftover ribeye steak, mushrooms, roasted garlic cloves, a drizzle of herb oil, fresh rosemary chili flakes and goat cheese.